Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ashley's Pie Crust

Ashley is one of the best cooks that I know! She came over and taught me and Emmie how to make flaky pie crust. It was not that hard! I've always been kinda daunted by pie crust because it is rare that it turns out alright. So she came and taught us to break up the shortening into really small pieces and keep them coated in flour. Then add water very slowly until it all clumps together. The whole time we try not to touch the shortening or it melts and the crust won't be flaky. I'm so happy that I know what I'm doing now! Emmie and I made apple pie and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

Lindsey also gave me a great recipe for pie crust that uses oil rather than shortening. I really like this recipe, although it is not necessarily flaky:

2 1/2 cup flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk

You can use your fingers and press this into a pan, but it also works rolling it out. This is how I made the crust for the apple pies that we made on our canning week.

No comments: