Wednesday, February 16, 2011

When The Children Are Asleep I'll Dream With You

First: Project Assemble Desk

When we first got married we had this ugly little wood desk that we used to put the computer on. Pretty soon we upgraded to a half card table. Here is a picture from last October with our handy little faithful computer desk:


We liked that card table desk especially because Morgan and I could sit next to each other and do homework. Now that our two children also like to sit next to us and our table cannot accommodate all of the computer equipment (ie: Morgan's work laptop with essential second monitor and my school laptop and our printer) we saw that it was needful to acquire a larger desk. Yes we are a techie computer family.

So I researched and browsed for weeks and finally found the best deal for a gorgeous home office set. We had to assemble every little part of the desk, which I think accounted for the fantastic low price. After the kids went to sleep Morgan and I would pull out a box and start a major assembly project. There were 6 boxes. It took Morgan and I about 15 hours (30 total!) over several days to assemble the entire thing. Here is Morgan working on our lateral file. I was helping too, just taking a picture at the moment. =P


I still do not have a picture of our desk all set up because this room is in a bit of disarray. So here is a picture of what it looks like. I especially like the round corners and the storage space in the hutch. We keep all of the crayons up there.


Next: Project Flush the Fish

One of the rooms in our basement had a wallpaper border of TROUT when we moved in. It was one of those things that just yelled "REPLACE ME!" We found out, however, that removing wallpaper is EXTREMELY tedious and time consuming. And unfortunately the entire bottom half of the wall had wallpaper that also had to be removed. We didn't finish removing it all before the missionaries moved in to our basement. So they were studying in that room with half ripped down wallpaper, so we had to halt the removal. Just a couple weeks ago, though, the missionaries decided to do service for us and they removed all the wallpaper for us. They moved their study desks into the play room. (Occasionally we would hear a ball bounce or a toy piano chime during study time.)

This is the picture of the same fish wallpaper border that is still in the downstairs bathroom. These fish will just have to swim around for a while longer.


Apparently after you remove wallpaper it isn't necessarily all "removed." There were tiny impossible spots along with gashes and other blemishes all over the dry wall. Not a pretty room. So we needed to get it fixed. We had to hire someone to come do a few really bad fixes for us. Then we went to get primer and paint and all those essential painting tools. I never intended on spending money doing this… I just intended on making the fishy room inhabitable. Obviously I didn't use any foresight starting this project that wasn't really suppose to be a project in the first place.

We ended up leaving the top half of the wall the same pretty marble white and painting the bottom half olive green. We found a pretty wallpaper border that would blend the two. After a overcoming a few catastrophes this is how the room turned out. Not too bad. Don't be fooled… it wasn't this nice and pretty the whole time.



I looked at hundreds of wallpaper borders and I fell in love with this one:


Little did our sweet sleeping children know. Yes, I think Lizzy is picking her nose.


Next: Project Pink Beads

They don't have very many clocks in our church building, and that drives me crazy! So I made this watch. I'm so happy with how it turned out! It's super pretty. And if you are considering making a watch like this because you think it will be cheaper than buying one already made - think again.


2 comments:

Jessie said...

First of all, I love the title of your post! I love that song from Carousel! And I love your wallpaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks soooo pretty!!!!!!!! You guys did a great job! It probably sucked majorly but now every time you go downstairs you will see how beautiful it is and it will make you smile. I think it's soooo beautiful. Maybe someday soon you'll be motivated to finish the bathroom. Lol. I think the trouts are funny. I would remove them too but they were funny little greeters to the downstairs part of the house. And what a beautiful desk that is! I also love the hutch how it's closed off. You can have all kinds of crap in there and close the cupboard and it'll look pretty! That's so great! I'm happy for you guys. how fun having a house and having a little money to finally work on some of these projects. And beading is NOT cheap. So true! It's a cute watch Eva! I'm happy to hear you've been doing so many great projects. You are very crafty. So awesome! I miss stuff like this. I've been so busy with packing and obsessing over getting our house... It will be nice to have something to do again once we are settled. LOVE YOU!

Lindsay said...

You are awesome! Even without kids, we are struggling to get any projects done. You are an inspiration. So talented!