While I was pealing a bunch of hard boiled eggs for my kids I came across one that was cracked. It had a bit of white poking out, you know how it goes. While I started pealing it I noticed that it was SO MUCH EASIER to peal than the other un-cracked eggs!
So I did an experiment. I cracked each one of 8 eggs before my next batch of hard boiled eggs. I thought that there would be egg whites seeping out, but I was surprised that my hard boiled eggs turned out pretty nice. In this picture you can see the cracks in the shells but no weird deformed eggs:
I just lightly tapped the eggs on the counter until I heard a crack. Any harder of course might result in deformed hard boiled eggs. These cracked eggs are SO much easier to peal! This is my new method. In fact today when I was putting the pan of eggs on the burner, I realized that I had forgot to crack them! So I pulled them out and cracked them all. It makes such a difference. I like to have some in the fridge for a nice protein snack.
I decided to try a way to get my family to eat spinach. I've started making spinach smoothies!! You can hardly taste the fresh spinach, and I put a ton in! Here are my kids enjoying their spinach smoothies:
Walmart has a section of frozen fruit next to the whip cream. I look for the packages with only "peaches" as the ingredients. I see lots of packages with "peaches, sugar." So I avoid the ones with sugar and still have a good selection. My favorite is the large bag of mixed fruit for 7 or 8 dollars. It has strawberries and mangos and others with no added sugar.
I haven't perfected my smoothie yet, but today I'm going to do frozen fruit, a few handfuls of fresh spinach, water and almond milk. (I'm trying out almond milk because it seems cow's milk is not doing my body good.) I've tried plain yogurt (with no high fructose corn syrup) but that made my smoothie too bitter. =(
3 comments:
i hate almond milk! how are you liking almond milk? That's so good that you are getting them to eat good fruits and veggies. i should try to make more smoothies for us. my sister in law made really good smoothies using a banana, orange juice, milk and then whatever else you want to put in, like oranges, peaches, strawberries or other berries. now i want to go check all my bags of fruit to make sure there is no added sugar in them! i didn't even realize that!
I really like almond milk! I wasn't sure with the first glass or two, but I am really enjoying it. I should make more smoothies, too. And your egg cracking seems like a great idea. =)
mmm don't you love tricking kids into eating yummy stuff? I have been making my girls' baby food at home, and sweet potatoes are pretty.. sweet! I could totally see sneaking those into a smoothie. The egg cracking is a cool idea! I usually cook them and then put them in cold water - which makes them shrink from the shell. I generally have a really easy time cracking eggs though (I can crack 3 in the time Caleb cracks 1). Way to have healthy snacks on hand!
Post a Comment