Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pinterest Organize

After reading several blogs and tips I found through Pinterest, I was so excited to get some organizing done in my house!!! 

This one gal had a drawer like the ones you see below with only a couple utensils in it! They were so easy to find and no digging to find them was needed! 

I took out that silverware container and cleaned it. =) Now it shines!


I especially LOVE that the top silverware drawer has only silverware, potato and orange peelers and a can opener. Easy to find. Each has its own space. No sliding. Always there where you want it. And easy to put away. 

Of course the problem with the "utensil/gadget drawer" is that there is TOO MUCH IN THERE. So I took out the stuff we don't use and left enough space for each utensil to sit happily on its own. 


One tip I found was to use non-slip liner thingy in your drawers so the utensils don't fly all over the place. So instead of one large sliding blob of almost unidentifiable-because-of-bulk utensils, now we have a handful of items used most often on a non-slip liner. =) The rest of the utensils are stuffed behind the silverware. Occasionally I suppose I will have to go back there and dig something out. In the mean time, no more digging. Yay!

No more STUFFING my utensils into the drawer and PUSHING things around so the drawer will CLOSE. That is a pet peeve of mine. I hate when there is no room to put something away. ARGHHHH!!!



I went to the DOLLAR STORE and bought several clear boxes with lids. I came home and printed out some words and packing-taped them to the boxes. Now our "medicine" cabinet is so much better!! Before we had some baskets and they were somewhat organized. But there was a lot of digging involved to find anything.

A couple of the boxes (Rags, Wash Rags) are open because rags go in and out of there very often.

Morgan asked me if I meant to spell it "First Aide."  Haha! I've been spelling it wrong my entire life!


Another cool trick I have learned is to use duct tape to cover an ugly box. Pretty boxes are soooo expensive. So I tried the duct tape method. And here is the result. Not too bad I don't think. However, the 2 duct tapes that I purchased were $5 each. A bit steep for me. Yet if you cover several free cardboard boxes then that would be worth the price. 


2 comments:

katie said...

Wow! Those are some very fun and effective organization tips!
I am excited that *someone* actually puts what they see on pinterest into action.
Living in a house that is streamlined and organized is sooo dreamy!

Jessie said...

that's so nice! I have a overstuffed utensil drawer... but I love it because I have so many nifty things!!! Especially after I had my pampered chef party..

I love the organized cupboard... o my gosh, so nice having all that clean and organized space!!! I wish I had a few more closets... haha..

Also, nice job covering the box. I didn't even realize it was duct tape covered until you mentioned it... BUT I was thinking... for the future, they have really nice decorative boxes at Ross usually for between $5-$15 depending on the size... which isn't bad considering the cost of the duct tape... You could check there if you ever need a pretty decorative box. =)

Can't wait to see your closet in person soon!